If you must travel alone in a car, here are a few things you need to know and be aware of to help you survive the trip. You can make the trip as pleasurable or as adventurous as you want. Always set a timetable for departure and arriving and try to stick to it. Make allowances for emergencies or problems.
Before you take the trip include the following tips in your plans:
1. Prepare your mind – avoid stress of any kind before getting on the road
2. Prepare your body – make sure you get a good night of sleep and rest
3. Prepare your car – have your car tuned up, oil changed, brakes checked, tire rotated and in good condition, extra fluids in the car (oil, brake, transmission, windshield, antifreeze, etc.) and make sure your windshield wipers and lights are working properly
4. Plan your route – find out the nearest hospitals, hotels, rest stops and restaurants
5. Let someone know your route and check in with that person at designated times to be safe
6. Have your cell phone charged and available for emergency calls.
7. Take along a map or GPS and have it handy or ready in the event you get lost or need directions.
8. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes to drive in
9. Travel with suitcases or bags in trunk of car for safety reasons
10. Try to map out or organize your route (beware of road construction and detours)
11. Have a small amount of cash or traveler’s checks in the event your credit or debit card does not work
While traveling during the trip follow these tips:
1. Try to travel during the day. At night is too risky, especially if the car breaks down.
2. Make frequent or regular stops to break the monotony of driving.
3. If you feel tired or sleepy pull over at the nearest safe place and stop or get a hotel room to spend the night and wake up refreshed.
4. Take along a snack (gum or candy) if it doesn’t make you sleepy
5. Listening to the radio or music is usually good for some people
6. You may want to drive with windows down a little to get fresh air
7. If at all possible do not sleep in the car alone
8. Wear a pair of shades if the sun is too much of a strain on your eyes
After reaching your destination follow these tips:
1. Take a nice hot shower and rest or get some sleep
2. You may want to eat a nice meal after resting
By following these tips your trip alone should be much easier and stress-free. Rather business or pleasure driving alone can be a memorable experience.